Vehicles purchased, titled or leased in Montana, provided they are less than two years old and have 18,000 miles or less on the odometer. This includes motorcycles. The Lemon Law does not cover: vehicles purchased for business use, trucks over 10,000 lbs. GVW, non-motorized and off-road vehicles, the "residential" portion of motor homes. 3 repair attempts of a substantial defect that impairs the use, market value or safety of the vehicle 2 years after the date of the vehicle's original delivery to the consumer, or the first 18,000 miles of operation, whichever occurs first.

Montana Lemon Law Statute

Montana Attorney General

Required Documentation

Keep all records of warranty repairs and all written communications with dealers and manufacturers. Work orders provide the best proof as to when a problem was first reported.

To prove that a vehicle is a lemon, be prepared to produce:

  • all purchase (or lease) documents
  • all maintenance records
  • all repair orders
  • receipt for maintenance supplies
  • certified letter of notification to the manufacturer (copy)
  • any and all other documents relating to the defect
The Lemon Law Process

1.      Notify the manufacturer. If the problem is a substantial defect or condition that recurs or still exists after the third repair attempt, notify the manufacturer by certified mail, return receipt requested, of the need to repair the defect or condition on the fourth attempt. This notification procedure is not required under the Lemon Law, but does serve as notice to the manufacturer of your intentions.

2.      If the manufacturer fails to correct any substantial defect or condition following your written notification, the manufacturer must either refund the full purchase price – plus any reasonable expenses directly incurred because of the vehicle’s condition – or provide an identical or reasonably similar replacement vehicle. If the vehicle is bought back, the manufacturer can deduct an amount for the use of the vehicle calculated based on the odometer reading at the time of repurchase.

3.      If you think you are entitled to a refund or replacement and the manufacturer is unwilling to provide either remedy, you must first submit your dispute to a state-certified dispute settlement program approved by the Montana Department of Justice. Contact the Office of Consumer Protection for further assistance.

Office of Consumer Protection
1219 8th Avenue
P.O. Box 200151
Helena, MT 59620-0151

Phone: (406) 444-1588